The School of Pharmacy was established on August 1, 1957. It was the first private School of Pharmacy in Republic of China. The Graduate Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences (GIPS) was established on August 1, 1982, with a Master degree program in pharmaceutical research. A PhD program, begun on August 1, 1988, was initiated to give students an opportunity to conduct advanced research in pharmaceutical sciences. The School of Pharmacy is affiliated with a teaching hospital accredited as a first-class medical center by the Ministry of Education and the Department of Health of the Executive Yuan. Students get practical, hands-on trainings and experiences through their exposure to the hospital's pharmacy.